Keyword search
Start a new topic
Back to results

Installing Monza (Pacesetter) exhaust with Pacesetter header on a 76 Triumph TR6

By Jorge

This was a bit of an ordeal to say the least. Working upside down under a car withing a tight space is not the most pleasant thing to do. But, someone had to do it and since I could not drive the car to the shop to have it done by a muffler shop, that someone was me.

First things first. This is how I did it and by no means am I suggesting you do it this way. But, you can at least get an idea of what I did.

A big thanks to British Parts Northwest

https://www.bpnorthwest.com

who had just about everything I needed except for the labor.

Remember, this install includes using the Pacesetter header as well. I detailed some things you need to know about this header and installing it with a manifold for triple Webers here

https://www.triumphdrivers.com/topic/43



As you can see, I had my parts Ceramic Coated by JetHot

Ok, here we go ...

The header changes everything on the install. This is due to it's placement and the extension pipes that attach to the header. Here you can see the header with the extension pipe attached.

Embeded Photo



With the header, you will need some extra pipe to connect the header and extension to the rest of the exhaust. If you didn't save any of your original pipes, you will need these pipes which are available from BPNW here :

https://www.bpnorthwest.com/triumph/tr250-tr6/exhaust/exhaust-pipe-left-hand-intermediate-front-tr6-dual.html



https://www.bpnorthwest.com/triumph/tr250-tr6/exhaust/exhaust-pipe-right-hand-intermediate-front-tr6-dual.html



Embeded Photo



Embeded Photo



Since I did not weld the extension pipes to the header and the steel is so thick, I had to cut two slots opposite eachother so I can clamp and compress when final fit is done.

You can see one of the slots here circled in green.

Embeded Photo



I dry fit the new pipes onto the header extension pipes so I can mark and cut off the excess.

Embeded Photo



Embeded Photo



With the pipes slipped over the extension pipes, I installed the Monza tail pipes one at a time, line them up with the pipes that fill the space, mark the pipes with a marker and eventually cut off the excess.

I then took the pipes to a muffler shop and had the expand the ends I cut so they could fit over the Monza pipes. I tried using my Harbor Freight expander but the steel on the pipe was too thick and it broke the expander.

Embeded Photo



I had to grind off the tabs you see attached to the above images so the pipes would fit.

After that, I installed the pipes and started assembly.

Embeded Photo



Embeded Photo



Here are how the brackets on the pipes attached. There may be a better way but thi sis how it worked for me.

Embeded Photo



Embeded Photo



Embeded Photo



Hope this helps.














Was this topic helpful? Give it a thumbs up or down. 0Likes:

Replies

Reply from Jorge on 08-19-19 7:34 PM
Quick update.

I removed all the U bolts and replaced them with sleeve type clamps. These are 1.75" diameter and could be slightly smaller.



I was not happy with how the muffler shop expanded my pipes. So, I bought new pipes and used a pipe connector with a 1.75" inside diameter on both sides. This was a very inexpensive fix which resulted in a much better install.

Embeded Photo



You can see the connector pipe in this photo joining the monza pipe to the intermmeidate exhaust pipes.

Embeded Photo



Embeded Photo

Please login to post or reply

Help run the site

Even a one time donation or subscription can go a long way in helping to run TriumphDrivers.

Thanks for your support !